Uferstudios are located right on the banks of Panke, a rivulet that once encircled the premises 300 years ago. The foundation of the Große Berliner Pferdeeisenbahn (Great Berlin Horse Railway) in 1873 marked the beginning of the construction as transport company depot. When the electrical trolley operation replaced the horse railway between 1896 and 1902, the Uferstudios premises were also reconstructed from horse to electrical trolley depot. Buildings north of Uferstraße were added.

Between 1926 and 1931, those characteristic brick buildings after plans by architect Jean Krämer were erected, marrying the straight forms of the Neue Sachlichkeit (New Objectivity) with expressive motives.

After WW II, the Berliner Verkehrsbetriebe (Berlin Transport Organisation, BVG) used the workshops on both sides of Uferstraße for reparing their busses, selling them again to Uferhallen Immobilien AG in 2007. In 2008 then, Uferstudios GmbH rented the buildings on the former island on the Panke for 25 years. After two years of intermediate artistic use, the site is renovated according to drafts of Anderhalt Architekten in 2010, financed by the Stiftung Deutsche Klassenlotterie Berlin, and realized by Jahn Architekten.


CAPTURE & discard - LUNA PARK / Kosmas Kosmopoulos
MAR. 17th + 18th at 8:30 PM
MAR. 19th at 5 PM
Call for Proposals
deadline MAR. 24th, 2017
WIR! Mädchen - Theater For Tolerance 
MAR. 26th at 7 PM
Wiederholung und Differenz - Tanzcompagnie Rubato
MAR. 30th - APR. 1st at 8:30 PM
APR. 2nd at 5 PM